Although HL7 International does not have an official FHIR manifesto, the original architects of the FHIR standard created one to guide the early efforts of the standard’s development. Arguably most important factoid in the manifesto is that the specification is written for one target: implementers.
Much of the failure of HL7 V3 was blamed on the complexity that was created for implementers. Rather than starting with data models, FHIR’s architects decided to focus on what was most important to them as implementers: ease of implementation. As seen in the list below, the manifesto is highly focused on implementation:
- Focus on implementers
- Target support for common scenarios
- Leverage cross-industry web technologies
- Require human readability as base level of interoperability
- Make content freely available
- Support multiple paradigms & architectures
- Demonstrate best practice governance
Learn more about FHIR
Our HL7 FHIR Primer provides an in-depth look at how FHIR will impact the future of health data exchange, including:
- What differentiates FHIR from other Health Standards?
- Where might FHIR be used?
- Where does FHIR go from here?
Download our HL7 FHIR primer as you plan a modern, integrated healthcare IT environment. Or register for an upcoming FHIR: First Steps training class.