Perhaps the greatest additional advantage of having an integration platform in the middle of your health IT environment is the creativity it offers above and beyond HL7 v2 interfaces. While approximately 90% of healthcare provider interfaces are comprised of v2 interfaces, many Corepoint customers are getting exciting results using other standards, such as C-CDA.
Corepoint users can build C-CDA documents in the engine. Each month, we host a webinar for our customers that includes product or industry education, and occasionally, customer presentations. Recently, a customer gave a demonstration on how they were populating a mobile app with summary of care information using the Corepoint Action Points. Here are some specifics:
- When the patient is discharged, an HL7 A-03 message is triggered by the EHR, which in this case was Paragon.
- When that discharge A-03 message hits the engine (trigger event), the engine retrieves the XML for the C-CDA from the Paragon database.
- The engine then performs a PIX query, which is a web services call, out to Mobile MD to get their patient identifier, the patient portal provider and developer of the mobile app. When a patient logs into the portal/app they’re actually logging into a Mobile MD site in the cloud.
- When the patient identifier is located, the engine creates a provided register transaction and posts the C-CDA with the Mobile MD patient identifier to Mobile MD so they can display it on a web page or app.
- Curveball: Radiologists are not required to sign-off on a chart until seven days after discharge. Meaning, the summary of care record is not finalized until it is signed by the radiologist.
- In the engine, they created an event in a work list, which is triggered after the designated number of days.
- The engine again queries Paragon to get the updated summary of care info and again posts it to the Mobile MD.
The only thing that Paragon can do on its own is show the patient’s record at this moment in time. Corepoint Integration Engine adds the ability to have a timed trigger event so patients can view the completed result.
This is just one of many creative ways Corepoint Health customers are using the engine to connect data to care.