Health Information Exchanges, or HIEs, are one of the most talked about topics in healthcare and healthcare IT today. Every time information about HIEs or Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) is posted online, interaction on Twitter and Facebook increases substantially, proving that health IT professionals are searching for information so they can stay informed on these modern initiatives.
Healthcare Interoperability Glossary, an HIE focuses on the mobilization of healthcare information electronically across organizations within a region or community, with the goal of facilitating access to and retrieval of clinical data
Healthcare IT News about how new HIEs should be built if they hope to exist on a long-term basis.
Six Tips for HIE Sustainability.
- Keep it simple. Upstart HIEs should start with a realistic foundation from which they can grow, rather than trying to be everything too soon.
- Understand your revenue sources. Clearly understand upfront what the participants are willing to pay.
- Estimate the costs. The value of any grants plus the continued revenue sources must not exceed the present value of the costs.
- Foster alignments with ACOs. If the providers in an HIE will be participating in an ACO, the future shared savings can be used to help fund HIE operating costs.
- Ensure patient privacy. HIEs must be sure they follow EHR criteria for privacy and security because the damaged caused by a health information breach would be catastrophic.
- Start with a federated model. This model is easier to implement and keeps startup costs low.
Michael Mover, CIO at Riverview Hospital in Noblesville, Ind., was
interviewed for a recent article about how they used features in the Corepoint Integration Engine to successfully connect to Indiana Health Information exchange, a local HIE.
Corepoint Integration Engine was able to build interfaces in a fraction of the time, and how great customer support is an essential component of an interface engine. Special thanks to Michael for the kind words.
- A Platform for Healthcare IT Innovation: Achieving Your Strategic Objectives with the Right Infrastructure
- The Infrastructure Transformational Model: Shifting Your Healthcare IT to the Next Level of Performance
- Roundtable on HIE Connectivity: Real Experiences with Health Information Exchanges