The EHR/HIE Interoperability Workgroup released its initial technical specifications Nov. 8, 2011. The specifications aim to standardize connections between healthcare providers, health information exchanges (HIEs) and other entities involved in communicating patient health information. The specifications can be downloaded from the group’s website: www.interopwg.org.
HL7 standards, profiles from IHE International, and HIE implementation experience as inputs for the initial version of the specification. For this first set of specifications, the focus is on two use cases along with additional constraints around the specification of a
Continuity of Care Document (CCD).
- Statewide Send and Receive Patient Record Exchange Use Case. Includes guidance on how encrypted health information can be transmitted over the Internet.
- Statewide Patient Data Inquiry Service Use Case. Provides details regarding the clinician’s ability to query an HIE for relevant patient health information.
- Specifications related to the CCD document. Provide additional constraint to the HITSP specifications for a CCD.
- Reduced optionality.
- Increased consistency of documents.
- Reuse maximization.
Continuity of Care Document (CCD): Changing The Landscape of Healthcare Information Exchange.” to learn more about CCDs and how they’re changing how health care
– and what health data
– is exchanged in HIEs and in the handful of functional Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs),